Thursday, March 1, 2012

In Bruges (2008)

"In Bruges" was released in 2008 and was written and directed by oscar winner Martin McDonagh ("Six Shooter" - Short film). This dark comedy is about two hit-men hiding out in Bruges, Belgium after a job. While there, they are given the task of another hit and that's when things gets interesting. I don't want to give anything away so go see it.  

First off, what an excellent script! It did receive the academy's attention with a rightfully deserved nomination. Martin McDonagh, in his first feature, created bright complex characters that fly off the screen. The storyline is also as wild as the characters in that you have no idea what is going to happen next. The jokes do not hold back and the film itself is fearless; violent also. 

I have never been a Colin Ferrell fan. I liked him in "Phone Booth" and that was about it. Until I saw this film. He gives a performance that will take your breath away and I promise will change your view of his acting forever. Brendan Gleeson, as always, delivers a riveting performance. One of the most colorful characters comes from Ralph Fiennes who is so evil and so funny all at the same time. His presence is felt the moment he appears on screen. 

I had never heard of Bruges before this film and I can tell you I would love to go there. The film captures the essence and beauty of the city in a glamours fashion. It looks medieval and spilling with history at each corner. In the film, they constantly refer to Bruges as a fairytale city. I have a feeling it just may be. I can almost guarantee that you'll want to take a trip to Bruges after seeing this. 


"In Bruges" is a somewhat unknown film and this bothers me. In my opinion, it's one of the top films of the decade. Please see it. I promise it will not disappoint. It starts off a little slow for some views but just sit back and be prepared for the twisting and turning as the plot thickens out of control. Enjoy. 


Here's the IMDB page:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/
Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jh2Xct8AMo

No comments:

Post a Comment