Monday, March 26, 2012

50/50 (2011)

"50/50" was released in 2011 and was directed by Jonathan Levine (The Wackness). It's a about a 27 year old who's world is turned upside down upon learning that he has cancer. The film follows his struggle to fight the disease with the help from his vulgar friend, his over-caring mother and an inexperienced therapist. This was inspired by a true story. 

I was pleasantly surprised by this film. Seeing the trailer (which consists of Seth Rogen making cancer jokes), I was somewhat turned off. It looked like a comedy about a guy who has cancer. WHAT? But I went out, got the film and watched it. 

This was much more than just a a comedy. This was a heartfelt, touching and truthful story of a man who is struggling with life. In an ironic way, his diagnosis of cancer inevitably gives him the strength to fully realize what life is worth. The poetic and subtle manner in which this is handled in the film is beautiful. 

However, it is a comedy as well. Seth Rogen supplies the comedic relief to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's unfortunate situation. I must say, I don't think I've seen a better performance, comedic or serious, from Seth Rogen. He shines in every scene he's in and will have you rolling on the floor laughing. 

"50/50" is a character driven film, which always appeals to me. It's funny, moving and highly entertaining. Some moments feel similar to an indie film but that makes it seem even more authentic. Go check it out. I'm sure you will enjoy yourselves. Like I said, I was surprised by this film and it goes to show that you can't judge anything until you experience it. Till next time. 




Here's the IMDB page:
Here's the trailer:

1 comment: